National Environment Agency And Hyflux – Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Consortium Sign Waste-To-Energy Services Agreement [Press Release]

October 28, 2015 by  
Filed under News

Singapore, 26 October 2015 – The National Environment Agency (NEA) today signed a Waste-to-Energy Services Agreement (WESA) with a consortium comprising Hyflux Ltd (Hyflux) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI). The consortium, through its project company, TuasOne Pte Ltd, will develop Singapore’s sixth waste-to-energy (WTE) plant and will provide waste-to-energy services to NEA over a 25-year period from 2019 to 2044.

2 The signing ceremony was officiated by Singapore’s Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Mr Masagos Zulkifli, and comes after NEA’s announcement in September this year where the consortium was named as the preferred bidder for the project. Hyflux owns a 75 per cent stake in TuasOne while MHI owns the remaining 25 per cent.

3 The plant will be Singapore’s largest. It will have a capacity to incinerate 3,600 tonnes of waste and generate 120MW of electricity per day. It will also be the most land-efficient, sitting on 4.8 hectares of land. Construction work is expected to commence in early 2016 and end in 2019.

4 The agreement was signed by CEO of NEA, Mr Ronnie Tay, Group Director (Corporate Services) of NEA, Mr Francis Tan Eng Kim, Executive Chairman and Group CEO of Hyflux, Ms Olivia Lum and Executive Vice President of MHI, Mr Kazuaki Kimura.

5 Mr Ronnie Tay said, “NEA has put in place an integrated waste management system to uphold high standards of public health while ensuring cost-effectiveness and affordability and minimising land uptake. Even as we continue to construct new waste-to-energy plants, Singaporeans can help by practising the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle) to reduce waste and contribute towards a more sustainable long-term solution.”

6 Ms Olivia Lum said, “We look forward to delivering Singapore’s largest as well as most energy and land efficient WTE plant, which will help meet Singapore’s long-term waste management needs. This project will position Hyflux strongly in the growing market of energy recovery from waste as governments around the world focus on sustainable waste management and energy efficiency.”

Source: NEA

Related Posts

Add New Comment

Tell us what you're thinking.